I will admit that recently I've been feeling as if my young looks are going against me. God bless my parents and the awesome genetics they handed down to their offspring, but I'm beginning to feel that gaining another 20 pounds, cutting my hair, dying it a blah brown and dressing in old woman suits would make me seem more credible in the eyes of prospective clients. I'm not kidding. I just don't get it.
Over the years I've realized that I actually have to be a different person, professionally, with each one of my clients. Mostly it's with men. The women are great and love to bond on a level beyond professional, it's the men who make me feel like Cybil.
There are the men who:
- are passive aggressive and like having a strong, bitchy woman push them around, telling them how it's going to be.
- ignore me until I've been in the board room yapping long enough that they actually begin to listen to what I have to say. Then they totally respect me.
- look at me in disbelief that I have 15 years experience, knowledge and creative ideas that will benefit them. Mostly I feel they think I can't get it done.
- are cool and want me to be cool like "one of the guys", so I talk to them like one of the guys, never touching on anything too personal
- and those who want to totally and completely be "all up in my biznez", literally. Of course I don't make it a practice to date my clients, especially when they're near dead, ask me out for drinks and then attempt to make out with me. Eeeewww!
The worst part is that I needed a return on my investment...I did NOT have that $500 to spend and my stress is now at an all time high.
Am I off spiritually? Am I disconnected? Have I been so deep in la-la land with Steven that I've simply not focused where I should? A friend told me today that I needed the break. I needed to mentally and spiritually get away from it all, but now I'm just left feeling like I may not accomplish what it is I want to...that the opportunities in front of me are all for not. Certainly God wouldn't have given me more than I can handle - I do believe everything happens for a reason, but this is nuts!
How is it after everything good that's happened that I am here....once again?